Gradiate--_--goa Trance Gradiate--_--goa Trance

You just rocked my speakers.

jeeeez but you're definitely one of my favorite underrated artists around here, because who the hell does goa/psy and does it WELL? You really do. And to be honest, I thought that some of your submissions here were better than your EP track, so this is definitely a treat for me.

I want to say that you could use some work on some of your synths, but I'm out of my league critiquing psy, so I'll just sit back & listen. And wish it were in DJ-friendly mix format. But if it were, its awesome structure wouldn't be there, so eh. Go figure.

(600? Seriously? wtf.) Congrats!

Bjra Is Happy Bjra Is Happy

...

I don't know why I can't stop playing this.

From the Foreshadows (A->N) From the Foreshadows (A->N)

Amazing.

You've outdone yourselves on this piece, guys. I'm still reeling from hearing "These Walls" and this is a one-two punch. This is free to NGers and not included on the EP? If so, it's a pity but it's also amazing. The vocal effects and cuts you've used here fit in so well, and truthfully, it outdoes a couple of the pieces intended for the EP, if you ask me. Props to the violist for her, while not flawless, very energetic and forceful work.

Also, you're making a lot of progress in production quality. I'd daresay that your earlier EP songs will display a different degree from recent pieces like this.

Downloaded and fave'd.

ApproachingNirvana responds:

Thanks for the review! It's always good to see you stop by here. We'll have to agree with you on most of your comments there. We love NGs and will continue to give back to this community as we gain momentum, but for the record this version is very amateur-ly mixed and our production quality can get better for this song. Also, I (SinJim) have a new computer on the way and will really make composing for classical portions a hell of a lot easier - my current computer only has 2GB ram, so it's a bit difficult.

This is not on the EP because it actually takes 6-8 weeks for an album to get reviewed and released onto Itunes as well as Napster, Amazon, and the other stores. So far, the fans on here have been really great and we hope to keep it that way and let them hear our stuff as we progress.

In terms of production quality, sadly your right. As we keep doing new songs, we get better and better. We're learning new tricks for everything and we have to keep going back and adjusting our previous songs to reflect this quality. We submitted our album to Itunes because we felt that we were at a point that's decently close to pro. While we aren't necessarily there yet and still may have quite awhile to go, we are very happy with how far we've progress.

Thanks again!

PS - Hopefully we'll see some more future projects with you :)

Pale Ice Pale Ice

Really lovely work.

Your audio talent is darn impressive and keeps being honed sharper. I'm impressed (and an Aura-Core fan, har)-- I'd heard your music before, but it's nice to hear recent work as well. Vocalist? Hm. I can see where people are coming from, but I don't think songs are necessarily improved by vocals all the time. (I'm a vocalist, so. :P Personal opinion.) Your song works well on its own, but hey. Congrats on the top 5.

Winterwind-NS responds:

aura core fan eh? totally awesome
I have heard your vocal work before, which is all great stuff. As far as adding vocals to this particular song, I would assume it'd be somewhat hard to fit in the whole ambient atmosphere, particularly for me since I have no experience in working with vocalists (which I intend to fix sooner or later)
thanks for dropping by

Kazmo - Take Me Away RMX Kazmo - Take Me Away RMX

Oh, SNAP.

By far the best remix I've heard from you. Kazmo, to be honest; I did NOT expect this out of you. Your production value is always excellent for NG, but I've never heard a track from you that I could honestly listen to and say-- "hm, this could be a professional-level production, with some work." Your progress fluctuates. But-- especially thanks to the length, which is full-length mixable with a properly structured intro and outro, this is the closest you've come. "Take Me Away" has had many remixes done of it, and this is a fair contender.

Now, I have to say that I was a bit disappointed after the first three minutes. The intro that I just mentioned sounded so professional, and built up so wonderfully. It sounded quite original, and the sounds you used were like nothing I've hear from you before. The bass was also very clean. I didn't much like the sound of the arp that came in after the first breakdown, 'round 2:51, though the little EQ/flangerish tweak right before the bass dropped was lovely.

The weakness in the melodic peaks, between 3 and 4 minutes, some of the higher synths used in your own melodic sections (like after 6:51, which sounds kind of late-90s trance), and some places where you used that clap are the low points for me. They keep it from sounding professional.

Still, this has boosted you in my esteem. Keep up the progress.

[GF]MinimalJourney[GF] [GF]MinimalJourney[GF]

Nice work.

Definitely not Deadmau5-y. If it were, I would've scored it lower, since Deadmau5 is-- though good-- getting terribly repetitive/uncreative. I agree with the Glenn Morrison assessment, and you've managed to make this track sound very developed with a few things. I'm extremely impressed-- never expected to hear anything like this on NG. Kudos!

Down To Earth - Fierra & Lira Down To Earth - Fierra & Lira

Yesssss.

First off, I'm impressed with the final product. I'm always baffled that my vocals can be made to sound more epic than they actually are (though my voice does stupid things in the first "down to earth..." segment) and I'm in love with the vocal cuts you've done. "Editing the hell out of them" indeed! You have talent, and it's great to hear all the progress you make!

Notes:

1) The way the instrumental drops out at 5:28 is very disconcerting. Did you intend that? Sounds like the highs and mids in the instrumental suddenly changed their minds.
2) Was the harp sound in the beginning Kazmo's? :P
3) Well, I can't make any more technical remarks, so I'll say this about the composition-- it sounds pretty darn professional. It also sounded like fairly standard uplifting trance, but that's not a bad thing.

I really like the way you picked the energy back up after the breakdown- it worked well. But with a short, dramatic early breakdown, it's harder to sustain that energy for the last few minutes. And since the first half of the song uses full vocals, and the second half uses vocal cuts, different parts have very different feels to them. I wonder if you could mix them up a bit more, or if the composition is pretty much set? Just a thought, but not a huge problem.

Karco - Time For Morning Karco - Time For Morning

Actually...

...the breakdown doesn't sound that empty, and I spent a while trying to figure out what it reminded me of. And I remembered: it sounds like a slower, piano-less version of the breakdown from "Something's Up" by Sean Tyas and Simon Patterson. Which is not poor company to be compared to at all, though the breakdown's almost certainly in Simon Patterson's style-- the very long, very hard trance buildup is more Sean Tyas. Go have a listen to it sometime. That's startling progression in a song.

But anyway. I actually really like this song, and it's one of maybe three tracks total I've downloaded from NG. While some could easily argue that it sounds repetitive, even as far as trance goes, your progression kept me from feeling as if that was the case. Instead, it goes toward being catchy, not irritating. Not a terribly useful review, as I only have an ear for composition and sounds, not mastering/mixing, but once I remembered what the breakdown reminded me of, I felt like leaving a review anyway. :P Cheers!

Karco responds:

Well, I've got to go look up those tracks as soon as I get home then. :O Thanks for the thoughts Liralei!

The Lonely Reunion =HFX= The Lonely Reunion =HFX=

I got shivers while listening to this.

And that's usually a failsafe indicator to me of a song's emotional quality. :) The sound of the string solo bothered me a little bit, but this composition, overall, is almost flawless. To me, it's almost harder to make a strong musical impact through simplicity than complexity-- you can wow someone with a ton of well-balanced layers, but to convey emotion and a story through music with simple piano chords and a well-driven ambient backing (and a glockenspiel/xylo? :P) takes a certain finesse. Did you manage that? Oh, yes.

I keep coming back to hear what you put out because you do have a certain talent, and this one's getting favorited. Keep up the great progress!

-Lira

Phyrnna responds:

You had me scared at first when I read your review title - I thought it was that bad. :O
Of course, I felt much better after reading the review. >_>;

Someone else had also pointed out the violin's sound out to me. Indeed, it can be better. For a soundfont, I think that's as good as I'll get it probably. Maybe I can try modifying it a little.... now that I know more about envelopes. >_>; My friend suggested that I use the violin sounds from the EastWest orchestral pack. However mines doesn't work. x_x

As far as complexity, I'm a large fan of really well layered classical compositions such as DavidOrr's. However when it comes to my own compositions, it seems that I do best with simplicity. I guess it's because I like admiring the beauty in what are sometimes the most simplest things.

And you have a good ear! (Though that goes without saying by the quality of your singing...) :D Some people didn't even realize that I had an ambient "bell" sound in there until I told them about it and they realized that it was in there helping out with the song. And yes, it's a glockenspiel. I tried using tubular bells, vibraphones, xylophones, and marimbas. But somehow the glockenspiel is the only one that matched what I needed perfectly.

Thank you for the favorite and for the support. I really appreciate it, and I really am glad to hear that my music can be enjoyed by people. I'll be sure to bring more music as it comes and I hope I never disappoint you.

-HFX ^_^

Kazmo - Urban Train Core RMX Kazmo - Urban Train Core RMX

Holy damn.

It's amazing to hear what you came up with only using FL core sounds. As a general rule, I tend to dislike Tiesto a lot and go on rants about his music. Out of all his albums, I like three tracks. But...with this track? I'm really impressed. I almost forgot it was Tiesto because I was so caught up going "...Kazmo made this using FL core sounds. WHAT." And it takes skill for a remix to make the listener forget about the original composer. ;)

(Oh, and I'll get on that Still Alive rerecord after I finish some schoolwork. I heard the WIP2 you were doing and went "gaaack!" at how different my voice sounded. Each part was recorded at a different stage of my illness (the chorus re-do was done when my higher register was pretty dead), but I'm well and my voice is back now, so I can probably record it all in one sitting either later tonight or tomorrow.)

Keep up the good work. Cheers! :D

Kazmo responds:

Holy damn? That's a first for me. :P

I surprise even myself sometimes! You hate Tiesto? I had no idea!!! I look up to the guy to be honest, but I definitely don't want to be him. :D

Yay you forgot who the original artist was while listening! I'm glad I did that to you ahahah. :3

Thanks for the review! Hope to do more collabs with you. <3

(It's good to hear you'll crack down on the vocals, school is first mind you. Ya, huge difference in vocal quality, I'm guessing you heard that...xD A timeline of your illness you may say. Yay I'm glad you're better!!! Looking forward to the rerecording!)